The temp tells all

Ever wondered how boring it must be to temp for a living? Wonder no more! Read my blog and share my pain- no snoozing at the back now!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Spread your wings

Like a butterfly, Donna is emerging from her chrysalis and starting to look halfway decent. Fake tan is being applied at a sensible level so she looks less satsuma and more sun kissed. Make up's looking way better and she's actually started applying for beauty therapy courses. The only sticking point is the hair but we've found a good hairdresser and the bleach blonde hell should be banished soon. It's like a makeover show happening live in front of me.

I think I might actually miss Donna when she spreads her wings and flies off into the sunset. The way she asks me questions and cocks her head to one side when I answer is quite cute. But leave she must. I'm not sure when this is going to be as Donna is still very frightened of telling her mother she's ditching the City life for the world of beauty. I hope I've got a good hiding place when the shit hits, because I know I'll get the blame.

I have been for a couple of drinks with Matthieu, the French junior partner, and he's very nice. I made sure that Donna and a few others came along so that it doesn't look like a date- I don't date colleagues from assignments as a rule just in case I want to come back- so he doesn't get the wrong idea. Or maybe it would be the right one- he's fucking hot. I'm not sure how I feel about him though. Donna was making cow eyes at him all night but the transformation hasn't been that effective. Unless Matthieu is blinded and loses his memory in a terrible accident- along with the ability to feel, smell and taste- I doubt he'll be getting busy with her, no matter how long her tongue hangs out at the thought of it.

My agent rang yesterday and asked if I was happy in this job and you know what I actually am. She said something ridiculous like "Oh darling you can't be a temp forever, isn't there something else you'd like to try? A permanent job maybe?" Does she think I want to make a career out of this? Be stuck on a 12 month contract with conditions like giving 2 months notice if I want to quit and being paid monthly. She's mental. What other job could I bail out of if I decided I hated it? Of course I don't want to be a receptionist forever, but that's kind of the point of temping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home