The temp tells all

Ever wondered how boring it must be to temp for a living? Wonder no more! Read my blog and share my pain- no snoozing at the back now!

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A little competition

Not that anybody reads this anyway, but sorry for the lack of updates. The new assignment is quite intense, so it's taking me longer to settle into my usually daily routine of bidding for court shoes on eBay, getting my groceries online and booking flights for friends who can't be arsed surfing the world wide web.

This assignment is probably in my top 10 already for sheer swankiness alone. I'm sitting at a lovely desk in the hugest of huge lobbies. It's all marble, as these places tend to be, but with lots of glass and mirrors, too. Because it's so sucking sunny at the moment, the countless reflections off the white surfaces make me feel as if I'm sitting surrounded by snow, but it's better than my last job- and my chair is brand new and lump free. Yes!

My supervisor is female, which is a bit of a drag, but she seems OK so far. The only drawback to my position is that I'm not the only receptionist. I share my colossal desk for some of the day with Donna. Donna is one of those people you always get in an office but they're usually nowhere near me so my exposure to them is brief. Donna is in her early 20s, is from Essex and is a casual racist who, from what I can gather, does nothing but argue with her neighbours because they look at her dog the wrong way/ object to the endless parties she has/ complain about her smoking dope in the street. She's a real treat and I am mystified as to what she's doing here. She must have sucked some serious cock to get here because this is a classy joint and despite the fact that most of the City is overrun with coarse, ugly Essex types, the few ladies I've seen stepping out when the lift doors ping seem pretty respectable. Who has hired this troll?

My strategy is to watch silently for a few days and then use my usual psychological warfare to get her out of my way. This desk is not big enough for the both of us.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger ♥ m said…

    Donna is goin' down! (or has she already..hmm)

    Then again, best to check she's not related to someone. The corporate empire would crumble if it weren't for the mortar of nepotism.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger PretaMulatta said…

    dont b a smartass. i read all the way from nyc...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home